250g glutinous rice flour
200 ml water
2 tablespoon plain flour
2 tablespoon green pea flour
1½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon sugar
1½ coconut (grated white part)
1 liter water
250g gula melaka
5 screw pine (pandan leaves)
35 banana leaves (22 cm x 17 cm)
100g gula melaka (chopped)
35 banana leaves (18 cm x 8 cm.)
Toothpicks (for securing banana leaves)
1. Combine glutinous rice flour with 200 ml. water; knead till a sticky paste is formed.
2. Add in both flours. Combine mixture well; add in salt and sugar; set aside.
3. Squeeze the coconut with 1 liters of water.
4. Combine the flour mixture with half of the coconut milk; stir until smooth dough is formed.
5. Heat the remaining coconut milk on low heat in a saucepan. Add in palm sugar and pandan leaves; boil for 5 minutes and strain.
6. Pour palm sugar mixture into the dough mixture; stir well.
7. Boil again, stirring constantly till mixture thickens. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
8. Place 2 tablespoonfuls mixture on a larger banana leaf. Put a few pieces of chopped palm sugar on top of the dough. Top with 2 tablespoonfuls dough mixture.
9. Enclose dough with a smaller piece of banana leaf. Secure packet with toothpicks.
10. Repeat until all dough and palm sugar are used up.
11. Place jongkong parcels in a steamer and steam for 20 minutes.
12. Remove from steamer. Chill kueh jongkong before serving.